The Antique & Classic Boat Society, Inc. is an International organization based in Clayton, New York with 52 US and Canadian chapters existing today. The ACBS was formed in 1975, and has grown substantially year by year. Membership in the ACBS International organization, which is mandatory for chapter members, brings with it a vastly widened access to fellow enthusiasts and their projects through an International membership roster, indexed by member name, manufacturer of boats owned, boat type, and chapter affiliation. In addition to chapter publications, members receive a quarterly newsletter (The Rudder) from the International organization, containing a wealth of useful information. It is not necessary to own a boat to be a member.
To join ACBS and the Thousand Islands Chapter, please use this link, join now.
- To provide a means through which individuals sharing a common interest in antique and classic boating can meet to share experiences and information, exchange ideas and generate enthusiasm for all aspects of their interest.
- To serve as a repository and clearing house for all information relating to antique and classic boating.
- To establish and monitor protocol as it relates to antique and classic boats or boating.
- To communicate with and report to the membership, the public and the government at all levels regarding its activities, purpose and goals.
- To promote, further and encourage a love and enjoyment of antique and classic boating at its highest level in all of its aspects.
- To establish chapters throughout the world for a complete representation of interest.
- To sponsor antique and classic boat shows for the benefit of the public at large and to educate members of the Society and the public by conducting research and maintaining a library with information regarding classification, restoration, and authenticity of antique and classic boats and in general, promote and sponsor activities designed to promote an interest in and educate the public about antique and classic boats and safe boating.
ACBS Boat Classifications
Historic: A boat built up to and including 1918
Antique: A boat built in the period 1919 – 1942
Classic: A boat built in the period 1943 – 1975
Late Classic: A boat built from 1976 to 25 years prior to the current year
Contemporary: A wooden boat built in the last 25 years.